Dolceacqua, a town with 2,000 inhabitants, lies not far from the Liguria Riviera, 8 km from Vintimille. Many archaeological remains bear witness to the successive occupations of the site since the Iron Age.
Of the castle, built in 1151 and definitively destroyed in 1887, only the ruins remain, perched on a rocky spur dominating the medieval village at the foot of the Rebuffao mountain. The houses, sometimes six floors high, lead down to the river called "la Nervia". A single-arched bridge with a span of 33 m joins "la Terra" to "Borgo", the new part of town built in the 15th century.
During previous centuries, the main traditional activity was the production of olive oil; today, thanks to the notable wine "Rossese di Dolceacqua", wine-growing has developed rapidly, as have the other activities related to local produce and tourism. Dolceacqua has obtained the "Paesi Bandiera Arancione" seal of approval awarded by the Italian Touring Club to hinterland towns for the quality of their tourism and their environment.
The town of Dolceacqua has oriented its projects towards the richness of its architectural and natural heritage. The Nervia Valley, where fauna, flora and history exist harmoniously side-by-side, is the object of promotion whilst, at the same time, being protected. A footpath has been created along the vegetable gardens which line the Rio Peitavino. The castle and the Doria palace, centres of historic interest, are going to be equipped for the reception of cultural events.