Situated in the Luberon, 35 km east of Avignon and 90 km from Marseille, the village of Menerbes (1,000 inhabitants) stretches out along a rocky outcrop, dominating a vast agricultural area.
At each extremity of the ridge is a fortress: an ancient small castle, which, in 1953, became the home of the painter Nicolas de Stael and the 13th century citadel, rebuilt in the 16th century. Because of its strategic position at the highest point of the outcrop, the latter played an important role during the War of Religions. Indeed, Menerbes was a stronghold occupied by the Huguenots and was built to protect the Protestants between 1573 and 1579.
On the Square, against the belfry, is the ancient watchtower, crowned with a campanile. A vaulted porch opens onto a magnificent view of Mont Ventoux. In the past, many famous writers and artists have spent time in this village and it still continues to attract them.
Menerbes produces the "Cotes du Luberon" wine. Located in the wine-producing area of the citadel, an unusual museum dedicated to corkscrews tells all about this indispensable instrument from the 17th century to the present day. Menerbes is classified among "Les villages les plus beaux de France".
The municipality of Menerbes lies in the Luberon Natural Regional Park. The Park's Charter aims to promote integrated tourism with a view to sustainable development.
The House of Truffles and Wine is the town's main project. The aim of this project is to promote local products in order to ensure the diversity of economic resources.
The former hotel of Astier de Monfaucon, built in the 17th century, is home to this resource centre which has a triple objective: educational, cultural and promotional.
The restoration of the 14th century Saint-Luc church will return this building to its former glory and it will, once again, be able to open its doors to the faithful and, occasionally, serve as a venue for concerts during the festival "Les musicales du Luberon". This project has been realised with the help of the Fondation du Patrimoine, the World Monument Funds, the Provence Regional Council and private donations.